Sunday 3 September 2017

Primitive beings..

So I get to be on holiday which is lush! I work hard when I'm at work, spend a lot of time traveling to and from work, I'm responsible and pay my way, and I also like to think I act in a good way to most of my fellow human beings. 

I come away to Spain and end up sitting on a balcony above the pool where I can look at everyone and I find myself pondering about what they all do. There are a lot of French, Dutch and a few Spanish folk here with a few English. 

As I look out, I can see a right mixture of people and start to think about who is a doctor, or a business person or nurses, self employed people or householders. I can see all the kids running around being busy and jumping in the pool. People are having fun and it feels a million miles away from their daily grind.

All this activity and loads of people but there is still division. All the people are divided up into their own little family groups, and all of them fight for their sunbeds and space as if they deserve it for some reason. They pay little attention to each other and it's not often that that we connect with our neighbour to share in life and what is going on with each other. Do we look after each other? Are we paying attention to each others struggles and successes? Do we do things that benefit the human race? Are we interested and kind to our fellow people around us? Or are we simply looking for those two weeks to get away from it all and get our well deserved holiday?

I recently spoke with my friends about when people say things like, "I deserve this holiday" or "I deserve this". I wasn't sure of the details why but it doesn't sit well with me. I don't think any of us deserve anything and as my friend pointed out, when we want something that we think we deserve, it's usually at the expense of someone else's cost. I hate that phrase.

I would like to think that in many years to come, the human race may have developed into an intelligent civilisation that could sit amongst other alien races (if there are such things.. Just go with me on this!) and stand upright as a civilised race and who looks after each other, their planet, their values, their outlook but I think we are gonna wipe ourselves before then. We think we are sooooo advanced and in some ways we are, and clever with it as well but let's face it, we might have developed amazing technology, surgery and inventions but we just can't stop killing ourselves. We elect leaders who are more driven by short term monetary gain than a longer, kinder outlook. We wage war, or rather our 'leaders' do and we send our brothers and sisters to do their dirty work. Motives can be selfish and this is the hidden agenda that drives our economies.

It's not all bad though. When someone or a group of people do something that is kind and caring, we notice. We connect with it and it resonates really powerfully with us. As individuals we feel connected to something bigger, whatever you may believe in. Can't we love each other and promote each other and look after our surroundings as the default setting? Surely it shouldn't be this hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment